My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Friday, January 29, 2016

Still trying to help Mouse


- Mouse, last spring

I still haven't caught Mouse to take to the vet for his bad arm. He's still very afraid of me and hiding when he sees me, which leads me to wonder if his injury wasn't an accident but that someone hurt him. I have rented a trap from the vet and hope to catch him in the coming days, though I dread how much it may cost to fix him up. After my last cat Kermit died in 2008, I had decided not to get another pet because I'm not really a good caretaker of others ... bad eyes, no money, no car, and a squeamishness that makes it really hard for me to do the necessary but unpleasant stuff. The cats deserve someone better, but unfortunately there's no one else but me. Crossed fingers on catching Mouse soon.

4 Comments:

Blogger Deacon Denny said...

I hope you do. Better still, I hope Mouse can trust you enough eventually to come to you, even if hurt.

Joan and I have two cats, a gray and a black. They're really not "ours," but our daughter's, and we've been sitting them for whatever, 10 or 12 years. I was never much of a cat lover for most of my life, but these animals have really grown on me... and now, grown old with me too. They both live outside in separate little heated (!) cat-houses overnight, and much of the day too. We'll have them inside when we're home. The grey one is more of an outdoor animal, and the black one is much more fragile and would choose to be inside with us whenever possible -- except when our young grandkids are staying with us...

9:34 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

I remember you telling me about them before and how they would go into the baby's room (I think?) and that they had to stay outside. That was before these cats all came along here - now there are between 8 and 10 of them and I can't imagine how it would work for all of them to be inside, especially when they don't all get along. I did fix up the garage for them but not all of them will sleep there.

10:19 AM  
Blogger Deacon Denny said...

Wow -- that is a lot of cats, Crystal. You're kind to open up the garage for them, but I'm absolutely sure about the situation of that many cats in one's home. We used to rent on the second floor of a house, above an elderly man in the basement, who had cats everywhere. The cats didn't get into our place, but they were all over downstairs and outside. He died after a short time (not directly related to the cats) -- and cleaning the place out was a really awful job.

1:59 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

Yes. It just started with me leaving out food for one stray cats and then it just went out of control. A few more cats showed up, then a couple had kittens before I could get them spayed. I contacted every animal agency I could think of but no one would try to find homes for them and the SPCA said that if they were even semi-feral, they'd be euthanized because there were already so many tame cats who needed homes. Meanwhile another cat appeared, this time with kittens. Now there are three females that still need to be fixed but it's really hard for me to catch them. I think the only way out of this situation is to do like your former neighbor and die ;)

2:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home