My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Saturday, April 11, 2015

The week of movies: day 5



I'm a bit late with this one but the movie just went on and on. Tonight's film was Exodus: Gods and Kings ...

a 2014 biblically-inspired epic fantasy film directed by Ridley Scott .... The film stars Christian Bale, Joel Edgerton, John Turturro, Aaron Paul, Ben Mendelsohn, MarĂ­a Valverde, Sigourney Weaver, and Ben Kingsley. It is a loose interpretation of the exodus of the Hebrews from Egypt as led by Moses and related in the Book of Exodus.

In my opinion, this was a really bad movie. A sibling rivalry taken to the extreme, there was no one for me to like .... both Moses and Ramses were arrogant, humorless, dolts. The only epic thing about it was the level of suffering everyone in the story had to endure, including the animals. The God who was portrayed in the movie was monstrous ... you'll have to take my word for it as I can't find any clips of him (and he's cast as a little boy - shades of Village of the Damned). Even the parting of the Red Sea was an anti-climax: it was apparently just really low tide ;) I think I actually prefer the old version of the movie with Charlton Heston ...



But for a completely different viewpoint, here's Richard Roeper's review ...


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home