My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Sunday, February 02, 2014

Sing :)

Singing Changes Your Brain

[...] What researchers are beginning to discover is that singing is like an infusion of the perfect tranquilizer, the kind that both soothes your nerves and elevates your spirits.

The elation may come from endorphins, a hormone released by singing, which is associated with feelings of pleasure. Or it might be from oxytocin, another hormone released during singing, which has been found to alleviate anxiety and stress. Oxytocin also enhances feelings of trust and bonding, which may explain why still more studies have found that singing lessens feelings of depression and loneliness. A very recent study even attempts to make the case that “music evolved as a tool of social living,” and that the pleasure that comes from singing together is our evolutionary reward for coming together cooperatively, instead of hiding alone, every cave-dweller for him or herself ...


Mentioned in the article: singing along to David Bowie's The Man Who Sold the World. You can sing it with a choir ...



Or like me, you can just sing it with David :) ...



We passed upon the stair, we spoke of was and when
Although I wasn't there, he said I was his friend
Which came as some surprise I spoke into his eyes
I thought you died alone, a long long time ago

Oh no, not me
I never lost control
You're face to face
With The Man Who Sold The World

I laughed and shook his hand, and made my way back home
I searched for form and land, for years and years I roamed
I gazed a gazely stare at all the millions here
We must have died alone, a long long time ago

Who knows? not me
We never lost control
You're face to face
With the Man who Sold the World

2 Comments:

Anonymous Henry said...

Too bad I am tone deaf - I do love singing to myself though! Great post and article.

Do you have a good singing voice?

8:39 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

Nope :) I used to sing to the cats, though, and they didn't mind.

1:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home