My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Sunday, May 19, 2013

Star Trek Into Darkness

No, not the movie, but the book. I'm not sure when I'll get a chance to see the film so I'm reading the the book while I wait - Star Trek Into Darkness by Alan Dean Foster. It's like the earlier book about the earlier Star Trek movie - essentially an elaboration of the script - and that's ok with me :)

I'm only about half way through the book, but I like it so far. It's a re-imagining of an original Star Trek tv episode, Space Seed, and an original Star Trek movie, The Wrath of Khan. It was a great idea of J. J. Abrams' (I guess?) to give Star Trek a new timeline - it's something that's been used in some of the tv shows he's produced, like Lost and Fringe, and it gives writers a lot of freedom to recombine story elements in new ways. I was kind of surprised, though, to see that Sherlock actor Benedict Cumberbatch is playing Khan in the movie .... I don't think even severe timeline permutations can rearrange someone originally of Indian descent as an Anglo-Saxon ;)

Here'sthe preview dor the Star Seed episode (heh) ...


7 Comments:

Anonymous Richard said...

Just saw it yesterday. I liked it a lot though it was odd watching Cumberbatch as Khan, I was just getting used to him as Teitjens the main character of the WWI era hbo series Parades End based on the wonderful Ford Maddox Ford novels. But I think he was a convincing Khan and in his way more menacing than Montalban's version. SPOILER ALERT: they have finally installed seatbelts on the Enerprise.

10:11 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

Seatbelts :)

I do think Cumberbatch is a good actor. He was in Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy too.

Ford Maddox Ford? I thought for a minute you meant Ford Maddox Brown, the artist :) Is it a good tv series? I'm always looking for something worthy to rent.

11:41 PM  
Anonymous Richard said...

Per wikipedia Ford Madox Brown is the maternal grandfather, interesting story there too. If you're into that period of British history you'd probably enjoy both series and the novels which I found very challenging (in a good way:)

6:35 AM  
Anonymous Victor said...

(((they have finally installed seatbelts on the Enerprise.)))

Richard, forgive me if I'm not suppose to laugh but that comment really made me laugh for many reasons.

Crystal! I do Luv movies of the likes and they really do make me laugh and maybe that is because I've grown up thinking that the closer we humans get to real super heros the funnier "IT" seems to me and from my old age I guess "IT" is probably cause they seem to get closer to GOD (Good Old Dad).

Gee I wish my wife would also enjoy these kinds of movies but after 43 years of marriage she still does not like these types of movies.

Go Figure Woman! :)

Peace

9:19 PM  
Anonymous Richard said...

No it was pretty funny Victor, the shields have failed, they are being pounded mercilessly by photon torpedoes and just when you expect Kirk and crew to careen around the bridge as they always do these seatbelts appear out of nowhere and fasten them securely to their chairs. Very logical. FYI Denise and I have a deal, she picks the movie and then the next time..she picks the movie

11:11 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

Ah, the joys of compromise ...You like Earth Jazz, she prefers Klingon Opera – so you compromise: you listen to Klingon Opera. - Odo :)

11:36 PM  
Anonymous Victor said...

(((Ah, the joys of compromise ...)))

You of all people crystal who has been around when I created my first two blogs and truth be known I only stay off Facebook and Twitter also for the love of my family.

Long story short, I'm trying to see what I can learn about "Jesus" without reading the good book and that's why I created sinner vic shortly after I almost took my life in the early 90's and.....

End YA say Victor?

Don't say that sinner vic!

Go Figure NOW? :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yw4tWdQWv68

Thanks Richard

11:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home