My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Who will be the next Archbishop of Canterbury?

I've been reading about this at Thinking Anglicans. The way the archbishop is chosen: the Crown Nominations Committee picks two candidates and the Queen, advised by the prime minister, chooses one of them (read more about the process here). This government/religion interweaving seems so wrong from an American pov :)

Of the possible candidates mentioned, only a couple were recognizable to me ... Archbishop of York, John Sentamu, and James Jones, Bishop of Liverpool. The latter is a complicated person in that he's a strange blend of liberal and conservative ... you can read all about him in this 2008 Guardian article.

Further reading - I came upon an essay on the way archbishops are chosen - Why I would like to help choose the next Archbishop of Canterbury by Graeme Smith

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home