My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Thursday, May 24, 2012

Sitting around the fire with Jesus

The reading for tomorrow, Jn 21:15-19, has the post-resurrection Jesus feeding the disciples, asking Peter if he loves him, and telling them all to follow him (not to mention some cryptic aside about John). The film The Gospel of John shows ithis and I found it kind of moving - Jesus' repeated questions to Peter make him weep. Click on the video at 8:50 mins into it to be at the part where the disciples have come ashore to find Jesus sitting at a charcoal fire making them breakfast ...




6 Comments:

Anonymous Victor said...

Thanks for posting this Crystal.

Now "I" know why every time I walk into church and after making the sign of The Cross and just before going to my seet, I kneel on one knee and say "MY Lord and my God" probably to remind me that like Thomas I so often lack the faith that I should always have in our Lord and Savior Jesus The Christ.

Does that make any sense?

Peace

7:13 PM  
Blogger Deacon Denny said...

Yes, Victor, it does. And it reminds me that even if I have faith, I can be so filled with the wearies and woes of the world, that I can get pulled along with the tide, too tired to swim free with the Lord.

1:21 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

Hi Victor,

Yes. Stuff like this reminds me too of what's important :)

2:05 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

Hi Denny,

It's hard when things aren't going well to keep enthusiastic or even hopeful. Sometimes I get so discouraged and upset I give up on God. I've so far always come back, but I guess it's what would be in human terms a troubled relationship.

2:13 PM  
Blogger Dina said...

The nuns reenact this every spring at the monastery in Switzerland where I was. Everyone walks in silent pilgrimage in the predawn to the lake. When we arrive at the shore we find a fire with fish and bread on the grill. As the sun rises we stand in a circle and receive the food.

12:09 AM  
Blogger crystal said...

Hi Dina,

Reenactment :) The retreat I did had us imagine ourselves in that scene too.

12:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home