My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Saturday, May 07, 2011

A book and a quote

I only know who physicists Brian Greene and Neil deGrasse Tyson are because they were mentioned in an episode of Stargate Atlantis (question asked, 'who would you rather fool around with: Neil deGrasse Tyson or Brian Greene?'). By coincidence, today I checked a book by Greene out from the library, The Hidden Reality: Parallel Universes and the Deep Laws of the Cosmos, and today I also came across a remark made by Neil deGrasse Tyson ...... Two American goals that took a decade, and more than $100 billion to achieve: 1) Walk on the Moon 2) Find Bin Laden.


3 Comments:

Blogger Susan said...

I can't help thinking of the world I grew up in.....in the 1950s we could barely acknowledge the first one of those subjects as a remote possibility, and we couldn't in any way imagine the second.

7:00 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

Hi Susan.

It's strange how we never really seem see what's coming, even when we prepare.

8:03 PM  
Blogger Deacon Denny said...

This is an aside, I guess, but I really like Brian Greene. I've read two of his books, and my son Paul (at NYU, studying Physics) did some work with him on a book. I also met him here in Seattle, when he came out for a speaking gig, and have a great DVD from Astronomy Magazine where he talks about string theory.

Greene has the ability to popularize physics, in the same way that Carl Sagan helped popularize Astronomy/Cosmology. He can help make it real, and fun...and that's a lot harder to do with physics than with Astronomy.

3:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home