My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Wednesday, June 09, 2010

Think less about what you ought to do and more about what you ought to be

- Meister Eckhart (paraphrase)

Is that like virtue ethics? Anyway, it's a quote made by Jesuit Anthony de Mello in the talk below ("Wake Up to Life" - three parts). I saw him mentioned by Denny a few days ago and I remember Cura especially likes him, but I've never read his books nor seen him give a talk. But I have to be interested in a guy who gets a reproof from the CDF, so I decided to see if I could find a video of him - mission accomplished :) I've only listened to parts one and two so far, but I was especially both disturbed and made wistful by the second part - food for discernment, I guess.

Here's the blurb for the program ...

Segment 1 - How to pray. Segment 2 - How to be real Segment 3 - How to love. In this program of three thirty-minute segments, Father Anthony de Mello gives a complete course on spiritual freedom. Using stories, anecdotes, and humor, he begins by focusing on prayer and continues with the topics of freedom and love. Father de Mello's approach mixes common sense, startling originality, and wisdom from many sources in the East and West. He gives his presentations to a studio audience and handles questions that will provide a beginning for your own group discussions.








2 Comments:

Blogger Cura Animarum said...

Am I to be blessed at witnessing another de Melloian conversion?! ;o)

So cool that you found these videos Crystal. Thanks for sharing them.

Favorite quote from the first one; "The present moment is never intolerable. What's intolerable is what's going to happen in the next four hours."

classic!

3:09 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

:)

He still makes me uncomfortable but maybe that's a good thing. I was impressed by the videos - I've only watched the first two so far. The theird one tonight. Thanks for introducing me to him, Cura.

5:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home