My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Saturday, November 21, 2009

Can't sleep

It's late but I can't sleep. My sister, who has been looking for a job, has an interview for one in another state. I've been thinking about what it will be like if she moves away. It's been a while since I've had to be out and about by myself and I forget most of the time what it means to not see well because she sees for me. Yes, I can read most stuff on the computer - I can make the words very large and I can control how close I can be to them, but that's not usually possible out in the world. Imagine what it would be like to not be able to read street signs, the bus schedule, a menu, price tags, bulletin boards, cross-walk signs, cash register read-outs, the titles on the spines of books at the library, the numbers on a telephone or in a phone book. Imagine not being able to drive, not seeing cars coming when you cross the street, not seeing who among a group of people is talking to you, or if you are indeed the person they're talking to, or if they're male of female, of they're smiling or frowning, imagine getting lost. And not seeing things will be nothing compared to the loneliness. I hope she doesn't move away.


11 Comments:

Anonymous Mary H. said...

Dear Crystal,
Thank you so much for your wonderful writing on this blog. It has certainly educated me and widened my Perspective! I will hold you in my prayers and share your concerns with my lay community.
I cannot imagine all the difficulties you face in the course of your day - but I try to. I often encounter blind folks in my favorite coffee shop and think of the incredible courage it takes just to get around town.
Peace and all good,

7:12 AM  
Blogger Mike L said...

I know it is difficult, Crystal, because I have watched my son navigate in the world and he is totally blind. And each day he has to travel from Northern Virginia to his job in Washington, DC. He works with computers and I have heard his voice translation program. Darned if I could ever understand it!!

I do believe that you have the courage to overcome this handicap, and you are in a lot of prayers. I wish there were more that I could do to help, and if there is anything, please let me know.

Love and Hugs,

Mike L

7:52 AM  
Blogger crystal said...

Mary,

Thanks for the kind words and the prayers. I'm actually luckier than lots of people - just feeling sorry for myself last night :/

12:30 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

Mike,

I remember you mentioning your son before. When I first found out about the eye problem they wanted me to learn mobility training stuff but I didn't want to, I think because I was just so angry the bad thing was happening, I didn't want to accept how things would be. My bad. The job my sister has an interview for is in New Mexico.

12:33 PM  
Anonymous Dyan said...

Wow, Crystal - what a tough situation. I'll be praying for you too. If it helps, try to remember that when you are weak, then He is strong!
Hugs ~ Dyan

12:59 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

Thanks, Dyan - I think you're right :)

2:48 PM  
Blogger Mike L said...

Where in New Mexico? Would love to have her for dinner if it is in the local area.

7:33 AM  
Blogger crystal said...

Albuquerque. But I hope she won't end up going.

11:22 AM  
Blogger Mike L said...

We live about 50 miles SE of Albuquerque and go into the cite a couple of times a week. So while we hope she finds a job there, at she has a friend out here.

5:48 AM  
Blogger Mike L said...

Besides, maybe you could come and visit too!

5:48 AM  
Blogger crystal said...

Mike,

Thanks for the offer :) My sister's interview (by phone) is tomorrow. It's for some kind of computer content management but I'm hopingg she will tell them she doesn't want ti - fingers crossed.

2:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home