My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Thursday, August 20, 2009

Any recommendations?

My sister gave me a gift certificate for Amazon.com and I'm trying to decide what book to buy with it. I'd like to get one about theology/religion but I don't know of many books to choose from in that area. I'm considering a couple - Horrendous Evils and the Goodness of God by Marilyn McCord Adams or What Happened at Vatican II by John O'Malley - but I'd appreciate any recommendations others might have for worthy theology/religion books.


4 Comments:

Blogger Liam said...

I've heard good things about the O'Malley book. Anything by Jaroslav Pelikan is strongly recommended by me.

3:51 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

Hi Liam,

I did check O'Malley's book out of the library but it was so big I only had a chance to read a little of it.

Thanks for mentioning Jaroslav Pelikan. I hadn't heard of him before, so just looked him up in Wikipedia. He had a memorable line quoted there ....

Tradition is the living faith of the dead; traditionalism is the dead faith of the living. Tradition lives in conversation with the past, while remembering where we are and when we are and that it is we who have to decide. Traditionalism supposes that nothing should ever be done for the first time, so all that is needed to solve any problem is to arrive at the supposedly unanimous testimony of this homogenized tradition.

There was a link to this webpage about him too.

6:23 PM  
Blogger Liam said...

Yeah, the dude was awesome. You might want to check out the Speaking of Faith podcast about him.

7:21 AM  
Blogger crystal said...

Thanks for the link :)

11:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home