My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Hollyhocks



I love hollyhocks - I think they remind me subliminally of Alice in Wonderland kind of stuff. Above is a photo of one of the hollyhocks I have in a pot outside. Mine seem very fragile and don't last long - don't know if that's because I don't feed them or don't use pesticides or if it's because they are from heirloom seeds. The photo below is a close up of the interior of another of the hollyhocks - it looks like a green star .



ALICE

A boat beneath a sunny sky,
Lingering onward dreamily
In an evening of July --
Children three that nestle near,
Eager eye and willing ear,
Pleased a simple tale to hear --
Long has paled that sunny sky:
Echoes fade and memories die:
Autumn frosts have slain July.
Still she haunts me, phantomwise,
Alice moving under skies
Never seen by waking eyes.
Children yet, the tale to hear,
Eager eye and willing ear,
Lovingly shall nestle near.
In a Wonderland they lie,
Dreaming as the days go by,
Dreaming as the summers die:
Ever drifting down the stream --
Lingering in the golden dream --
Life, what is it but a dream?

THE END

Lewis Carroll


11 Comments:

Anonymous Paul Maurice Martin said...

I always remember hollyhocks affectionately because they were growing right under my grandmother's kitchen window when I was a kid - which is to say in my own backyard, since my mom rented an apartment in her house.

I don't think I've seen them since. As a young child I remember actually finding them kind of intimidating because A) they were taller than me and B) they were a favorite with yellowjackets.

5:11 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

Hi Paul,

I haven't noticed yellowjackets liking mine so much but bees do like them. And sadly, Mine are relatively short. I've seen the tall ones - they're so pretty.

6:39 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Geezerette said...

These are beautiful pictures.

We planted hollyhocks next to our house a few years ago. They are an heirloom variety. Thomas Jefferson grew this particular variety. The flowers are almost black in color. Very striking.

7:41 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

Hi SusieQ,

It's probably that I have a black thumb :) Maybe I need to plant them in the ground instead of a pot.

8:06 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Geezerette said...

Crystal, I think you must have misread my post. It is my hollyhocks that are almost black in color. They are nearly ready to bloom. I'll try to get some pictures of them and post them at my blog so that you can see. I'll let you know.

8:39 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

SusieQ,

Yes, I know you were talking about the color of your hollyhocks. I still have a black thumb, though :) Let me know when you post the pics.

9:22 PM  
Blogger Mary H. said...

Hi Crystal,
I read Perspective often but I believe this is my first response. What a lovely post! Thanks for the poem and the pictures.
I grow hardy hibiscus which looks somewhat like the hollyhocks except they are quite large. I'm always happy when they bloom in August.
Mary H.

6:45 AM  
Blogger Cura Animarum said...

Hi Crystal! It seems like forever since I've been around. Love the Hollyhock pics. We have some that grow each year around the city but we've never tried planting them ourselves.

Did you hear that Tim Burton is doing a re-make of Alice in Wonderland?

9:41 AM  
Blogger crystal said...

Mary,

Thanks for commenting. Hibiscus are so pretty. I've never tired those ... next on my list :)

11:49 AM  
Blogger crystal said...

Cura!!! He's alive! :) I hope you guys are all ok and the spiritual direction stuff is going well. Tim Burton doing Alice in Wonderland - uh oh :)

11:51 AM  
Blogger Cura Animarum said...

We're all (relatively) fine. The Spiritual Direction training is done, I was commissioned a couple of weeks ago. SD this year was the main reason for my dropping off the planet for awhile. It got pretty busy near the end, but it was all worth it.

I'm actually a fan of Burton. I think his take on Lewis Carole's work could be...interesting. ;o)

12:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home