My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Friday, December 19, 2008

Zechariah and Gabriel


- Zechariah and Gabriel by Julius Schnorr von Carolsfeld, 1851-60, engraving

I've always been intrigued by the reading for today - Lk 1:5-25 - where the Archangel Gabriel visits Zechariah, tells him about his future son, John the Baptist, and strikes him dumb. Here are some more images of that scene ....


- detail of Annunciation of the Angel to Zechariah by Domenico Ghirlandaio, 1490, fresco in the Tornabuoni Chapel, Florence


- detail from a page of St. Albans Psalter, first half of the 12th century, University of Aberdeen


- Zehariah and the angel by Giusto de' Menabuoi, 1376-78, fresco in the baptistry, Padua Cathedral


4 Comments:

Blogger Liam said...

Nice pictures, Crystal. I especially like the one from the psalter, where Gabriel is touching his mouth.

You don't talk back to the angel of the Lord.

9:51 AM  
Blogger victor said...

Crystal, I also am intrigue about "Zechariah and Gabriel" and their story.

I hear ya! Why don't you do more reading Victor then you could learn a lot more! :)

Are you a fan of The Slacktivist Blog also cause if you are then I'm really in trouble. Don't tell them but I do agree that reading is very good and if they find out about "IT" some might never cut me any Slack!:)

Before I go out on a tangent again I just want to say that there are still many who indirectly won't accept this story about Zechariah and Gabriel until they experience "IT" first hand. My only comment on that would be to say is "Careful....well you know".

Although I'm still not going to read The Bible until the majority of The Vatican send me a copy so I'm going to instead use memories and say that I recall when I served high mass has an altar boy and believe it or not it was sang back then. Anyway!

Just a sec sinner vic! Was that before or after you stole from that church? Whatever!:)

Sorry Crystal but I must finish this story about Elisabeth at another time cause my feet are now literally cold and I have a big headache.

Go figure! You too Victor? :)

God Bless,

Peace

10:27 AM  
Blogger Jeff said...

Well shet mah mouth...

Great images, especially the one from the Psalter!

1:11 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

Thanks, you guys. I found the pics at a great art resource - Biblical Art on the Web

1:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home