My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Sunday, December 21, 2008

The Last Lecture



Popular culture dunce that I am, I'm probably the only person who hasn't seen this already, but (thanks to Mike) I just watched a YouTube of "the last lecture". Carnegie Mellon University computer science professor Randy Pausch gave the lecture on September 18, 2007 titled Really Achieving Your Childhood Dreams. At the time, he had just a few months to live because of pancreatic cancer, and at the start of the lecture, he made clear he would not be talking about his health or religion (though he did admit he'd had a death bed conversion - he'd bought a mac). What he did talk about was how he had achieved his childhood dreams, how he believed the listeners could do the same, and how they could help others to do so as well. Perhaps the best piece of info comes at the end of the lecture, when he reveals something I believe very much to be true (but I won't tell you what :)

The video is worth a watch - it's funny and filled with a joy that flies in the face of diminishment ........




6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was lucky, I had heard of Randy's death on the internet but paid no attention. Then, coming back from a Marriage Encounter meeting in Iliois someone had the audio of his book of the same name, The Last Lecture.

It is a major expansion of the video, and one of the most inspiring books that I have read in a long time.

There just are not many professors that have 50 students and end up with 75 people in their class because friends and family of the students decide to also attend.

The world lost someone great when Randi died, but he left a fantastic legacy. I will mention that the video of his last lecture is available from Melon for about $6 including postage, or can be freely download if you have the bandwidth.

I believe the book is about $15 and cheap at that price.

Love and hugs,

Mike L

8:03 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

Thanks, Mke :)

12:57 AM  
Blogger Garpu said...

The whole "Death with dignity" crowd pisses me off, since they would want people like that professor to die. Think of how many lives he wouldn't have touched, had he taken his life when he got the diagnosis. There's a priest at my parish who's currently dying of cancer, and I think his last few weeks have been as much a ministry as anything else he's done.

4:10 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

Hi Garpu,

Maybe some people who are sick are not as functional as others towards the end, but I see what you mean. My mom worked up until just two months before she died.

6:23 PM  
Blogger victor said...

Just from watching this video, it was clear to me that he will certainly be missed by many.

I did not know that they were so far advance in V.R. (Virtual Reality) and I sure hope that all schools learn to have fun learning with it in the future cause that would make him very happy.

I was planning to say so much more about this man's life while comparing it to mine but instead I've decided against being obnoxious.

This video would rank as one of the top #1 video I've ever seen and I also would like to thank Mike for bringing it to your attention..

Crystal, there's so much even at the end that I find is true about what he said and so which ever piece of info you picked, well let's just say that I agree with it.:)

I'll close by giving my most sincere regret to his loving wife Jai, and their three children, Dylan, Logan and Chloe.

I believe that where ever he is in his virtual loving memories, I venture to say that his soul and spirit are not far behind him leading him on to His God which he seem so close to.

May you rest in peace Randy until my soul and spirit get to meet you in person during God’s Virtual Reality in the here after.

6:35 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

Thanks, Victor. It sounds like you got the same thing from the video that I did.

10:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home