My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Jon Sobrino SJ interview

I accidentally came upon this Pax Christi interview with Jon Sbrino SJ. There's a second part as well here. And here is the blurb that came with the YouTube ....

Marie Dennis, Co-President of Pax Christi International, interviews Jon Sobrino, SJ. Pax Christi USA honored Rev. Jon Sobrino, SJ with the Pax Christi USA Book Award for 2008 at its annual gathering at the School of the Americas Vigil and Action on Friday, November 21. Rev. Sobrino, the sole suriving member of the Jesuit community following the massacre by SOA graduates in November 1989, which claimed the lives of 6 of his brother Jesuits, their co-worker and her daughter, was honored for his book, No Salvation Outside the Poor: Prophetic-Utopian Essays, published by Orbis Books. Check out more Catholic Peace and Justice Materials at:www.paxchristiusa.org




4 Comments:

Blogger Jeff said...

Tnanks for posting those up, Crystal. Interesting how he defines hope, and how he describes the Jesuits as people of joy and the poor of Salvador, Haiti, and the Congo as people of joy too, while adding that joy is not defined how we would define it out of our entertainment industry.

I also liked how he said that he had nothing to say to the poor, but that they had plenty to say to him. I like his humility.

Good videos. Thanks for putting them up. :-)

5:41 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

Hi Jeff,

It's surprising what's out there in video world - religion and theology guys are finally taking advantage of that medium. I look for ones of William Barry every so often, but nothing yet :)

7:09 PM  
Blogger Jeff said...

Ha, I've got one up on you. ;)

I'd never heard Sobrino speak in english before. I felt for him as he tried to get his ideas across in a language he doesn't seem entirely comfortable with, but I think he did OK.

1:13 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

Yeah, that's funny because I always imagined him being fluent in English. I'd read a journal article by him in English and it was really good, but I guess it can be easier to write in a language than speak it.

1:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home