My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Monday, September 22, 2008

Some Paris churches

I've been thinking about Paris, partly because the Pope was visiting there but more so because the story in the book I'm listening to, The Magician: The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel, is taking place there. The book has so far mentioned Sacré-Coeur Basilica, which I posted about a while ago, and I thought I'd take a look at some other churches in Paris via Wikipedia. Here are some photos from a few of them. Follow the links to read more about them and see more pics .....


- the upper chapel of Sainte Chapelle



- interior of the Panthéon, which was originally built as a church dedicated to St. Genevieve, but now combines liturgical functions with its role as a famous burial place of notables like Voltaire, Rousseau, Marat, Victor Hugo, Émile Zola, and (my favorite :) Alexandre Dumas. Also of interest, Foucault's pendulum was constructed here



- a gnomon is in the background of this pic (see the obelisk?) and in the foreground the brass meridian line lies on the floor of Église Saint-Sulpice .... remember this was part of the plot of The Da Vinci Code?



- the tomb of Descartes, in the Abbey of Saint-Germain-des-Prés



- L'église de la Madeleine, began existence as a church named for Mary Magdalene, went through a number of reconstructions and planned purposes, including a temple to the glory of Napoleon's army, and later a possible train station, but was finally consecrated as a church in 1842



- the tomb of Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette in the Basilique de Saint-Denis, the burial site of almost all the French monarchs since Clovis I (465 - 511)


4 Comments:

Blogger Liam said...

Very nice pictures, Crystal.

I think my favorite is Ste Chapelle.

8:25 AM  
Blogger crystal said...

Mine too.

10:22 AM  
Blogger cowboyangel said...

Great pictures and info, Crystal.

7:52 AM  
Blogger crystal said...

Hi William.

11:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home