My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Friday, December 14, 2007

Ebert on The Golden Compass



A while ago I had posted something about the movie, The Golden Compass, but later it got deleted in one of my blog-pruning fits. Yesterday, though, when I was reading movie reviews at Roger Ebert's site, I saw that he had given it a good review (four stars), so I thought I'd post some of what he had to say here .....

*******************************


"The Golden Compass" is a darker, deeper fantasy epic than the "Rings" trilogy, "The Chronicles of Narnia" or the "Potter" films. It springs from the same British world of quasi-philosophical magic, but creates more complex villains and poses more intriguing questions. As a visual experience, it is superb. As an escapist fantasy, it is challenging. Teenagers may be absorbed and younger children may be captivated; some kids in between may be a little conflicted, because its implications are murky.

They weren't murky in the original 1995 novel, part of the His Dark Materials trilogy by Philip Pullman, a best seller in Britain, less so here. Pullman's evil force, called the Magisterium in the books, represents organized religion, and his series is about no less than the death of God, who he depicts as an aged, spent force. This version by New Line Cinema and writer-director Chris Weitz ("About a Boy") leaves aside religion and God, and presents the Magisterium as sort of a Soviet dictatorship or Big Brother. The books have been attacked by American Christians over questions of religion; their popularity in the U.K. may represent more confident believers whose response to other beliefs is to respond, rather than suppress.

For most families, such questions will be beside the point. Attentive as I was, I was unable to find anything anti-religious in the movie, which works above all as an adventure. The film centers on a young girl named Lyra (Dakota Blue Richards), in an alternative universe vaguely like Victorian England. An orphan raised by the scholars of a university not unlike Oxford or Cambridge, she is the niece of Lord Asriel (Daniel Craig), who entrusts her with the last surviving Alethiometer, or Golden Compass, a device that quite simply tells the truth. The Magisterium has a horror of the truth, because it represents an alternative to its thought control; the battle in the movie is about no less than man's preservation of free will.

Lyra's friend Roger (Ben Walker) disappears, one of many recently kidnapped children, and Lyra hears rumors that the Magisterium has taken them to an Arctic hideaway. At her college, she meets Mrs. Coulter (Nicole Kidman), who suspiciously offers her a trip to the north aboard one of those fantasy airships that looks like it may be powered by steam. And the adventure proper begins.

I should explain that in this world, everyone has a spirit, or daemon, which is visible, audible and accompanies them everywhere. When they are with children, these spirits are shape-shifters, but gradually they settle into a shape appropriate for the adult who matures. Lyra's is a chattering little creature who can be a ferret, mouse, fox, cat, even a moth. When two characters threaten each other, their daemons lead the fight.

Turns out the Magisterium is experimenting on the captured children by removing their souls and using what's left as obedient servants without free will. Lyra challenges this practice ..... The struggle involves a mysterious cosmic substance named Dust, which embodies free will and other properties the Magisterium wants to remove from human possibility. By "mysterious," I mean that Dust appears throughout the movie as a cloud of dancing particles, from which emerge people, places and possibilities, but I have no idea under which rules it operates. Possibly it represents our human inheritance if dogma did not interfere .....

I realize this review itself may be murky, because theological considerations confuse the flow. Let me just say that I think "The Golden Compass" is a wonderfully good-looking movie, with exciting passages and a captivating heroine in Lyra. That the controversy surrounding it obscures its function as a splendid entertainment. That for adults, it will not be boring or too simplistic. And that I still don't understand how they know what the symbols on the Golden Compass represent, but it certainly seems articulate.

****************************


11 Comments:

Blogger victor said...

The Golden Compass sounds like a pretty cool movie and if you’re recommending it as a Christian then it certainly should be ok in my eyes. I’m not much of a movie goer and I read very little books because I’m always afraid that they might brain wash me in some way. I’ve always asked my god to place whatever he wants me to see within my grasp. Hey! If he ever puts this movie on my path, I’m sure that my shadow will want to join my soul, spirit and who knows it could also be an adventure for me, myself and I. (lol)

All kidding aside CRYSTAL I’ll definitely keep this movie in one of my brain cells and take it from there.

God Bless you and please continue to keep me in your prayers.

Merry Christmas and may God Angels continue to smile on you

3:06 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

Hi Victor,

I can't personally recommend the movie as I haven't seen it yet, but I think Roger Ebert is a pretty good reviewer, so I'll probably rent it eventually.

Merry Christmas and God Bless :-)

5:36 PM  
Blogger Garpu said...

Hrm. Maybe we'll go see it, if Ebert thought it was OK. We normally go see a movie on our birthday, then go to dinner. Just hasn't been anything worth watching the past few years.

5:53 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

If I was to go to any movie now, it would probably be the new National Treasure movie, or maybe the Atonement film, or Legend perhaps ... love movies :-)

Happy Birthday!

11:25 PM  
Blogger Garpu said...

Thanks. :) Our birthday isn't for another 9 days or so.

11:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting the review. Unfortuneately there are still religious "nuts" who are afraid of anything with which they might POSSIBLY disagree. The movie is great; the "nuts" are...well, nuts. Jack

1:58 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

3:45 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

3:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

6:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

6:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

6:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home