My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Sunday, June 24, 2007

The Last Temptation of Al Gore

As I've mentioned before, I've been nurturing the hope that Al Gore might run for president in 2008. Every now and then I look around the web to see if there's anything about him to be seen, and I came across this May article from Time magazine - The Last Temptation of Al Gore :-) It's a long article, but here's a little of it below ....

***************************

Let's say you were dreaming up the perfect stealth candidate for 2008, a Democrat who could step into the presidential race when the party confronts its inevitable doubts about the front-runners. You would want a candidate with the grassroots appeal of Barack Obama—someone with a message that transcends politics, someone who spoke out loud and clear and early against the war in Iraq. But you would also want a candidate with the operational toughness of Hillary Clinton—someone with experience and credibility on the world stage.

In other words, you would want someone like Al Gore—the improbably charismatic, Academy Award–winning, Nobel Prize–nominated environmental prophet with an army of followers and huge reserves of political and cultural capital at his command. There's only one problem. The former Vice President just doesn't seem interested. He says he has "fallen out of love with politics," which is shorthand for both his general disgust with the process and the pain he still feels over the hard blow of the 2000 election, when he became only the fourth man in U.S. history to win the popular vote but lose a presidential election. In the face of wrenching disappointment, he showed enormous discipline—waking up every day knowing he came so close, believing the Supreme Court was dead wrong to shut down the Florida recount but never talking about it publicly because he didn't want Americans to lose faith in their system. That changes a man forever.

It changed Gore for the better. He dedicated himself to a larger cause, doing everything in his power to sound the alarm about the climate crisis, and that decision helped transform the way Americans think about global warming and carried Gore to a new state of grace. So now the question becomes, How will he choose to spend all the capital he has accumulated? No wonder friends, party elders, moneymen and green leaders are still trying to talk him into running. "We have dug ourselves into a 20-ft. hole, and we need somebody who knows how to build a ladder. Al's the guy," says Steve Jobs of Apple. "Like many others, I have tried my best to convince him. So far, no luck."

"It happens all the time," says Tipper Gore. "Everybody wants to take him for a walk in the woods. He won't go. He's not doing it!" But even Tipper—so happy and relieved to see her husband freed up after 30 years in politics—knows better than to say never: "If the feeling came over him and he had to do it, of course I'd be with him." Perhaps that feeling never comes over him. Maybe Obama or Clinton or John Edwards achieves bulletproof inevitability and Gore never sees his opening. But if it does come, if at some point in the next five months or so the leader stumbles and the party has one of its periodic crises of faith, then he will have to decide once and for all whether to take a final shot at reaching his life's dream. It's the Last Temptation of Gore, and it's one reason he has been so careful not to rule out a presidential bid ......

People looking for signs that Gore has a secret plan often point to the fact that he has lost a few pounds and hopes to lose many more. They mention that he hasn't asked the draft organizers to stop, the way he did before the 2004 election. They point out that in May, a group of former Gore fund-raisers met at the Washington home of his onetime chief of staff, Peter Knight. (Someone handed out buttons that said Al Gore Reunion 2007, but it was just a social event; Gore didn't attend.) They cite October as a good time for him to get in, since that's when the Nobel Committee announces its Peace Prize. Finally, they point to The Assault on Reason, the sort of book that could be a talisman of intent, since it takes aim at George W. Bush from multiple directions, diagnoses what's wrong with our democracy and offers ideas for curing it. Why else would you write a book like that, they say, if you weren't laying down a marker for 2008? ......

The Assault on Reason will be hailed and condemned as Gore's return to political combat. But at heart, it is a patient, meticulous examination of how the participatory democracy envisioned by our founders has gone awry—how the American marketplace of ideas has gradually devolved into a home-shopping network of 30-second ads and mall-tested phrases, a huckster's paradise that sells simulated participation to a public that has all but lost the ability to engage. Gore builds his argument from deep drafts of political and social history and trenchant bits of information theory, media criticism, computer science and neurobiology, and reading him is by turns exhausting and exhilarating. One moment he is lecturing you about something you think you know pretty well, and the next moment he's making a connection you had never considered. The associative leaps are dazzling, but what will stoke the Democratic faithful are his successive chapters on the Iraq war, each one strafing the Administration for a different set of misdeeds: exploiting the politics of fear, misusing the politics of faith, misleading the American people, throwing out the checks and balances at the heart of our democracy, undermining the national security and degrading the nation's image in the world. For anyone who stepped into the Oval Office now and tried to end the war, he says, "it would be like grabbing the wheel of a car that's in mid-skid. You're just trying to work the wheel to see what pulls you out of it." But the mess we're in can't be blamed solely on the President or the Vice President or the post-9/11 distortion field that muzzled the media, immobilized Congress and magnified Executive power. "I think this started before 9/11, and I think it's continued long after the penumbra of 9/11 became less dominant," he says. "I think it is part of a larger shift driven by powerful forces"—print giving way to television as our dominant medium for examining ideas, television acting on our brains in ways that scientists are just beginning to unlock. As such, it's not the sort of problem that legislation is going to fix. Gore hopes that the Internet, which is so good at inviting people back into the conversation, will be the key to restoring American democracy. "It's going to take time," he says. "After all, we've been veering off course for a while." .......

What if he launched a new kind of campaign: no handlers, just the liberated Gore talking about what really matters to him? Would he seem too squishy? These days he improvises, giving freer rein to matters of the heart and spirit than he ever could as a candidate. He draws from a number of faiths, from philosophy and self-help and poetry and from Gandhi's concept of truth force, the idea that people have an innate ability to recognize the most powerful truths. He often cites an African proverb that says, "If you wish to go quickly, go alone. If you wish to go far, go together." Then he builds on it. "We have to go far, quickly," he said in April at the Tribeca Film Festival, where he was introducing a series of environmental films that will be shown at Live Earth. "We have to make it through an uncharted region, to the outer boundaries of what's known, beyond the limits of what we imagine is doable." Then he recited a famous line from the poet Antonio Machado: "Pathwalker, there is no path. You must make the path as you walk." I once heard him get tangled in that line during the 2000 campaign, but this time, he wasn't trying too hard. "We must find a path that we create together, quickly," he said. "With truth force. To seize the opportunity that lies before us." His words were simple, direct and powerful. One clue to how he found that power lies at the end of the poem, in a line Gore doesn't recite, as the poet reveals his desire "to be what I have never been ... a man all alone, walking with no road, with no mirror."

Gore is not carrying a mirror. He's not selling himself; he's selling a cause, a journey. There are no consultants fussing at him, telling him how to be himself. "There's no question I'm freed up," he says. "I don't want to suggest that it's impossible to be free and authentic within the political process, but it's obviously harder. Another person might be better at it than I was. And it's also true that the process is changing and that it may become freer in time. Obama is rising because he is talking about politics in a way that feels fresh to people ... But anyway, I came through all of that"—he waves a hand that seems to encompass everything, the advisers pecking at him, the attacks in the media, his own mistakes, the unspeakable Florida debacle—"and I guess I changed. And now it is easier for me to just let it fly. It's like they say: What doesn't kill me makes me stronger." What would this Gore be like as a candidate? This Gore is just not all that tempted to find out.

****************************

I wish he would run.


8 Comments:

Blogger Susan said...

Interesting! I'm an Obama fan, but he's young and unlikely to disappear in 4-8 years. Also, by then he might actually have a better chance. I've always liked Gore. And Tipper.

2:28 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

Hi Susan :-) I voted for him the last time he ran and I like him even better now, and much better than the three others I have to choose from. Sadly, it doesn't sound like he will run and I'll end up votong for Hilary, I guess.

7:17 PM  
Blogger Deacon Denny said...

Hi Crystal,

I think I read that article when it first came out. When I first saw his movie, I realized that he had spent a lot of time talking about his upbringing, his values... the kind of background that you'd want people to know if you were running for president. I do know that I'd vote for him in a heartbeat -- I did the first time, too. I think he will run if things work out for him to... but I don't think he'll "throw his hat in" to do any heavy campaigning. And to that, unfortunately I'd say it was just fine. I'd love to see him as president, but not at all costs.

I think our interminable political campaigns, where these biting 15-30 second political snips weigh more than serious discussion, are just awful. And I think the vast majority of people in the country think so too.

9:57 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

Hi Denny,

yes, I hate the campaigning. Did you see the parts of The West Wing that showed the different guys campaigning? It was interesting to see behind the scenes, though I'm not sure how accurate the episodes were. The way things are set up, what seems incredible is that we ever get anyone decent in office. Who do you feel like votong for so far, if Gore doesn't run?

12:03 AM  
Blogger Deacon Denny said...

Oh, that's a good one, actually. Believe it or not, I hadn't really been asked that before about this coming election. My politics are usually wildly to the "Catholic Left" of nearly everybody, and heavily influenced by a Catholic Worker philosophy. (One election year at the Worker house we posted a huge sign on the front of the house that said "Don't vote -- it only encourages them.")

I like Obama, but don't feel I know enough about him yet. As time goes on, I'll probably grow to like him more.

The only candidate I feel that I know well enough already is Hilary. I would vote for her, but I think there are all kinds of people who would attack her from all kinds of angles. It would be very ugly if she is nominated.

I also like what I see about Edwards -- in fact, a parishioner I know and respect is hosting a fundraising gathering for him tonight.

It's actually been more fun to watch the Republicans trying to figure out how to campaign with the president weighing the party down.

10:38 AM  
Blogger cowboyangel said...

Crystal,

much better than the three others I have to choose from

I know you don't particularly like Edwards, and you do kind of like Hillary - How do you feel about Obama and Richardson? Or any of the other Dems? (Don't give in to the media perpetrated "3" candidates! There are 9.)

11:58 AM  
Blogger crystal said...

Will,

actually, the post I just did quoting Obama is the first thing I've really read that he's written - I was pleasnatly surprised. I'm going to read up on him and maybe replace Hilary with him.

Edwards - just can't make myself like him. The catholic blogger thing, the running while his wife perishes, the wanting prayer back in school. Perhaps I'm being unfair, but as Connor MacLeod of the clan MacLeod used to say, "There can be only one." :-)

2:30 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

Denny,

thanks for your answer. After I asked it, I almost deleted it, remembering that my grandfather said you should never ask another person how they will vote. He was a democrat married to a republican, so discretion was the better part of valor :-)

I'm going to take a closer look at Obama - if not Gore, then maybe him.

2:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home