My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Dürer



When I was in college and taking an engraving class, artist Albrecht Dürer was my hero. Needless to say, my engraving of Conan the Barbarian (with some mermaids :-) didn't turn out as well as Dürer's work above. Here's the dope on it ...

- Harrowing of Hell or Christ in Limbo 1512 ... Adam and Eve are on the left, Moses is behind them .... The man whose arm Christ is touching is probably St John the Baptist.

Another of his engravings I like a lot is Melencolia, 1514 ... ... an allegory describing the creative melancholy of the artist and is thought to be a symbolic self portrait...




6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Durer as well, Crystal. These engravings are tremendously cool.

9:42 AM  
Blogger crystal said...

Hi Liam. I first learned of him when my college boyfriend gave me a book of his woodcuts ... inspiring.

10:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a very cool book called "The Golden Game: Alchemical Engravings of the Seventeenth Century" that has engravings that are both very beautiful and very, very weird.

10:54 AM  
Blogger crystal said...

Alchemy - Roger Bacon, John Dee - now there's an interesting subject :-)

11:20 AM  
Blogger Jeff said...

Durer was amazing. The Museum of Fine Arts in Boston had an exhibition a few years ago of his small and large woodcuts of the Passion of Christ. They were incredible to see up close in person.

2:00 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

Jeff, I've never seen his work except in books and online ... that must be great. Wish I could remember more stuff from the few museums I've visited.

3:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home